Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Fantom... CENSORS!

Has any other comic book retailer out there ever gotten an issue of Bomb Queen and just sighed. It was funny the first time, kind of like Garth Ennis's The Pro, but now I think its worn out its welcome. Now call me old fashioned ("Welcome to the 21st century Steve Rogers,") but isn't this a little over the top:

Bomb Queen V #1
The boobs, the blood, the people hanging by nooses, it was just too much for me. So here's what I did to it in order to make my employees, customers and myself more comfortable in the face of such lewdness:

I put the comic in a bag and board, cut a board in half, slipped it in the front, and then taped it shut.

Now this isn't the first time I have self-censored a book before, typically I do the same with most Marvel Max books (Punisher) and lately with Marvel/Soliel's Sky-Doll (Kids think it looks cute, but there is a lot of nudity in it). In the end its never really hurt business, and often times I wonder if people get them BECAUSE they are being sealed and are obviously not for younger audiences.

And by the way it looks, more of the same "censorship" for Bomb Queen V #2. Although, they aren't giving me a lot to work with...
Anyone else out there with thought on the topic of self-censoring comic books that come your stores way?

3 comments:

Cee-Cee said...

Can I just say...Black cat RIGHT in front of the torso. Really guys? REALLY?

Anonymous said...

Wait a second--kids still go into comic book shops? I haven't seen anybody under thirty in about five years and two states ago.

Cascade/Jordan said...

At least in our store there are lots of kids, especially on the weekends.