Friday, May 16, 2008

The Fantom... REVIEWS!

For Books The Week Of Wednesday, April 14th, 2008

Since I didn't spend all that much on comics this week (I only purchased two titles) and actually had a fair amount of work to do at the store (yes, work), I'll also be reviewing a few trades that I have recently read. AND HERE WE GO!

Guardians Of The Galaxy #1:
This was pretty slick.
I became a big fan of the Marvel Cosmic stuff during the awesome Annihilation event, and with this book, Marvel continues to build upon the strong foundations that Danny Abnett and Andy Lanning have laid down with their raw, bloody, knuckles. I mean seriously, these two are now taking the whole Marvel galaxy on their backs and are achieving with astounding success. This issue of course follows the events of Annihilation Conquest, which finds the galaxy in need of some sort of police-force-team-thing, WHICH SHOULD BE THE NOVA CORPS, but its not. Instead we get a team made up of a glut of heroes that came from the two mega cosmic events of which none of them could carry their own book.

Fortunately this all works out for the best. Paul Pelletier wonderfully illustrates the chaos this team causes as their tear through space, arguing about nothing. Its almost like Seinfeld in space. Yeah, I just said that. But to be honest, not a lot happens here. I already know all these characters, and I understand that they are dysfunctional together, I'm just going to need something more to keep this all going.
But for now this is a good looking, well written, and thoroughly enjoyable read.


THE FANTOM'S PICK OF THE WEEK
CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND MI 13 #1


I have not enjoyed a comic like this in quite a while. Keep in mind I have very little exposure to the people in this comic and bought it solely because I always thought Captain Britain had a snazzy costume. But man am I happy I bought this.

Pretty much this series is giving us a look at how those wankers across the pond are doing during Secret Invasion. The answer, PRETTY BLOODY GOOD. Well not really. They are encountering all the problem we are having. Their highest positions in office have been infiltrated, there are giant robots trampling London, and there are some scary ass Skrulls flying around with the powers of Thor, Iron Man, and the Wasp. Thank god England has some amazing heroes to fight back with. Like this guy:




Or as I choose to see it.




And then joining him is the Black Knight who is straight up stabbing Skrulls. While Spitfire, who I only know from Captain America: Red Menace, is doing things like this:

OH MY GOD, SHE JUST RIPPED OUT HIS THROAT.

Now after I read this, I discovered that Spitfire is a vampire, being bitten once by someone called Baron Blood. But while this was happening I had no idea what to think. I mean, I thought it was awesome, but damn, that's some visceral stuff. Anyways this book is amazing, and I really hope to see the rest of Secret Invasion go this way in the action department.

I also wanted to show this, perhaps my favorite panel of all time...



WELCOME TO EARTH!

1 comment:

Devon Sanders said...

This one was pretty bad-ass.