Monday, May 19, 2008

The Fantom Reviews: Young Avengers HC, Planet Hulk HC

As I mentioned earlier in the reviews for this week, I've been blazing a trail through some graphic novels and now its time talk about 'em. EN GARDE!

YOUNG AVENGERS HC

Written by ALLAN HEINBERG
Penciled by JIM CHEUNG & ANDREA DIVITO

Price: $29.99
Hardcover: 352 pages
Publisher: Marvel Comics (February 13, 2008)
Dimensions: 11 x 7.6 x 0.9 inches

This, is surprisingly, one of my favorite graphic novels of the year. I purchased this a while ago when it came out because I had heard good things about this series. But man, it blew away any expectations I had. Like, wow. Awesome.

The story introduces us to a group of gifted kids, who after the disassembling of the Avengers (see Avengers Disassembled), take up the guises of their hero role models and hit the streets to fight crime. A pretty simple idea. But what makes this story take off is Allan Heinbergs (Of Sex & The City, Party of Five, Gilmore Girls, and OC fame) AMAZING characterization of each of these individuals. A task which should prove to be difficult when dealing with main characters who are in the age ranges of 14-18. But he does it, and he creates to date, some of the most enduring and endearing characters in the Marvel U. I don't want to give away to0 much about the characters, but let me assure you, their relationships to the Avengers, and their interactions with the Avengers (This book will make you miss Steve Rogers terribly) are extremely well done. Also of mention is, from what I have seen, this is the best rendering of homosexuality in any superhero comic to date. I don't think I'm spoiling anything, when telling you that two of the characters on this team are boyfriend and boyfriend, but their relationship is an amazing piece of fiction. Before them, most homosexual relationships in superhero comics were bizarre, publicity stunts, but what we see in Young Avengers is extremely well done; especially compared to other gay relationships in the Marvel Universe (I'm looking at you Quasar and Moondragon).

Oh, and lets not forget the absolutely terrific art. Jimmy Cheung is an amazing talent and really shines in this book, giving life to a team with powers that work dynamically on the page. Although I will debate that he needs to stretch out of his abilities with faces. There is absolutely zero change in anyone's face besides, sideburns, piercings, facial hair, and a haircut. Actually let me sum it up really nicely with this. Captain America Has Never Looked Cuter. But regardless, his work is terrific and I have found myself going back to look at his detailed splash pages time and time again.

It was a joy to read this, and I can now proudly state that my girlfriend is reading it as well!

INCREDIBLE HULK: PLANET HULK HC

Written by GREG PAK
Penciled by CARLO PAGULAYAN, AARON LOPRESTI, GRAY FRANK & TAKESHI MIYAZAWA

Price: $34.99
Hardcover: 416 pages
Publisher: Marvel Comics (June 13, 2007)
Dimensions: 11.1 x 7.5 x 1 inches

This is the best Hulk story ever written. Period.

I don't want Bruce Banner talking it out with Hulk on the inside. I don't want Hulk evading the Army once again. And I sure as hell don't want any more talk about Betty. This story here, this is a masterpiece work for a character that has largely been an irrelevant mess since its inception. I mean, the Hulk is great and all. But after his initial creation, there really are not a lot of stories left to tell. Hulk mad, Hulk smash, Hulk sorry. HULK MAD AGAIN! See. Its a vicious cycle.

So here we are now. The Hulk has been messing things up in the Marvel Universe for a long time. So what do the Marvel U's best and brightest think up, lets shoot the poor guy through space. Target him to land on a peaceful planet, and pray that he lives out a peaceful existence. Unfortunately for the Hulk, he lands on a Planet similar to a futuristic Roman Empire, and immediately becomes enslaved (he is of coursed initially weakened by his journey, helping lead to his capture). From here what we get is HulkmeetsGladiatormeetsStar WarsmeetsLordOfTheRingsmeetsJosephCambell and then the fun begins. A great amount of smashing ensues. Hulk makes friends, Hulk makes enemies. Hulk makes love. Yes, love. Its all here folks, in what is surely the most entertaining Hulk story to date.

Altogether, Greg Pak and his team of artists deliver a great story that I feel ends with an ending that didn't need to happen... YET. Its something I think we all wanted to see. But, I mean come on did they have to do that. Well, your just going to have to see for yourselves.


Macho Man, what do you give it?
4 OUT OF 5 ELBOW DROPS, OOOH YEEEEEEAH!!

No comments: