Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Fantom... Talks It Out Chapter 1

In "The Fantom... Talks It Out," I like to take a time-out to discuss something I've been thinking about. Now, I know what you're thinking.

"Here comes Jordan, whining about the Darfur, or obsessing over Global Warming, or absolutely boring me with facts about the Mongol Empire."

WELL.

Its not going to be about that nonsense. But Genghis is a pretty interesting figure in the history of our world. Did you know that when Genghis was in his teenage years he once... sorry. Comics. Stay on target. Think Comics.

Okay, here is what I wanted to say.

Has anyone else begun to feel like when they read Marvel Comics, they are reading THE NEWS. While, when reading DC Comics, you're reading some sort of STORYBOOK.


Its just that Marvel, as of Civil War, has been mired in this "real world" view, where the events that happen to their heroes are covered by every media outlet available. And true, if they did exist, they would be the absolute center of attention. What they did and who they were fighting would dominate papers, T.V., and the Internet. But, quite frankly its beginning to bore me.

Don't get me wrong, I really loved Civil War, Civil War: Front Line, World War Hulk and the current Avengers: Initiative, as well as most of what Marvel publishes, but its all becoming a bit TO REAL for me. So much so, that after reviewing my purchases, the titles I enjoy the most revolve around entirely mortal men, with powers they do not understand, fighting in completely sci-fi/fantasy settings (The Immortal Iron Fist, Nova, Green Lantern). These titles feature very little "fictional media attention" and they pretty much just tell amazing stories, advancing characters who have been stagnant for perhaps decades.

This brings me to DC Comics.

This company is telling you stories. I mean, that sounds wrong. Marvel is also telling you stories. But one is telling you stories like a fairy tale, and the other is telling you stories like you have to understand this, because these are issues that effect you, and the planet you live on.

Stop me if I'm not making any sense. Its just that, recently I have really begun to like DC for some unexplainable reason and then this just kind of hit me. Infinite Crisis of course had major implications for the DCU, but it was kinda of whimsical. It was big, operatic even. And then 52 followed with all these other cool stories. But then Green Lantern just kicked my ass. Man do I love that book.

Well, I think I'm starting to rant. This is just food for thought. Please, talk amongst yourselves.

No comments: